With striking looks and a strong singing voice, this California native was born to a cabaret-singer/vocal-coach mother, who groomed her for the spotlight from an early age. Following high school, McPhee enrolled in the music program at Boston Conservatory but dropped out her sophomore year at the behest of a manager who suggested she try her luck as an actress in Los Angeles. Her career stagnated until she won a spot on the fifth edition of American Idol. Although initially Simon Cowell didn't think she had the necessary singing chops, she began winning him over mid-season with her brassy vocals and telegenic appeal, and ultimately, she was named runner-up to winner Taylor Hicks. While her fans---the Kat Pack and McPhans---happily suffered from McPheever, her critics claimed she was more of an aspiring Broadway baby than a pop star in training. Those criticisms aside, she released the self-titled CD Katharine McPhee in 2007 and Unbroken in 2010 while also forging a career in acting, starring in the 2008 film The House Bunny and making TV appearances on CSI: NY and Community. Off the stage, she supports humanitarian efforts, working with Feeding America and helping victims of the January 2010 earthquake in Haiti.
- Mother is a cabaret singer and vocal coach who helped Katharine hone her craft.
- At her initial audition for American Idol, sang "God Bless the Child."
- Her Idol fan frenzy was branded "McPheever" but wasn't enough to lift her to the title; she placed second behind Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks.
- Appeared in 2008's The House Bunny, playing a pregnant hippie sorority sister. Also sang the single from the film, a cover of the Waitresses' "I Know What Boys Like."
- Was among the galaxy of stars who sang on the remake of the charity song "We Are the World," retitled "We Are the World: 25 for Haiti," which raised funds for victims of the January 2010 earthquake in that country.
- Adriana Burch McPhee — Sister
- Adriana — Sister
- Peisha McPhee — Mother
- Daniel McPhee — Father
- Nick Cokas — Ex-husband
- Patricia Burch McPhee — Mother
- Elyes Gabel — Ex-significant Other
- Attended Boston Conservatory of Music, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Single Parents Enjoy a Summer of Freedom in Exclusive Season 2 Photo
- 2. 8 Things We Hope to See in Legacies Season 2
- 3. At Least the 2019 Emmys Ended on Time
- 4. The El Camino Teaser Just Confirmed Walter White's Death on Breaking Bad
- 5. The Unicorn's Walton Goggins Revisits His Most Memorable Roles, From The Shield to Sons of Anarchy
- 6. The Worst Moments of the 2019 Emmy Awards
- 7. Emmys 2019 Winners List: Game of Thrones, Fleabag Take Top Awards