The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Trailer for Ava DuVernay's Central Park Five Series When They See Us Is Deeply Unsettling
- 2. Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear Are Recreating All in the Family and The Jeffersons With an All-Star Cast
- 3. 25 Movies Streaming on Criterion Channel to Help You Become the Ultimate Film Snob
- 4. 9 Reasons You Need BritBox, Especially If You're a Doctor Who Fan
- 5. The Week in Superlatives: Rowdiest Fight, Biggest Fake-Out, and Creepiest Karaoke Session
- 6. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – Someone Great, Tim Robinson's Sketch Show
- 7. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley