- Got his start onstage in the '70s, appearing in plays on and off-Broadway.
- Won the Theatre World Award for his performance in the Vietnam drama G.R. Point (1977).
- Made his feature-film debut with a lead role in 1977's Between the Lines.
- Won OBIE Awards for Best Performance for G.R. Point (1976-77), Othello and Split (both 1979-80).
- Inducted into the Gonzaga College High School Theatre Hall of Fame in 2003.
- Was married to his first wife, Margot Kidder, for only six days.
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Sharon Heard — Ex-wife
- John Matthew Heard — Son
- Helen Heard — Mother
- Lana Pritchard — Ex-wife
- Margot Kidder — Ex-wife
- Melissa Leo — Ex-significant Other
- John Heard — Father
- Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States (1968); attended Catholic University of America, Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- 1. Freeform Pokes Fun at Shadowhunters Fans for Trying to Save the Show
- 2. Matt Damon's Saturday Night Live Monologue Was a Heartfelt Toast to His Family
- 3. Chris Klein Deserves Our Attention Again
- 4. Donald Trump Apparently Did Not Like Saturday Night Live's Cold Open This Week
- 5. Pete Davidson Surfaces on Saturday Night Live After Scary Instagram Post
- 6. Nina Dobrev Is Too Busy to Be on Legacies, but She Loves That You Love It
- 7. Put Some Respect on Chris Tucker's Name