Ma m re takes place in the Canary Islands, where the film's family shares a home. The mother H l ne (Isabelle Huppert), cool and in charge, and her teenaged son Pierre (Louis Garrel), a pious Catholic back from boarding school, discuss his father's infidelity; the next they hear, he is dead in a car crash. H l ne launches into a wild series of parties, gradually involving her son in her drugging, drinking and sex-fuelled nights out. When she mysteriously goes away, her son is left in the care of her mistress R a (Joana Preiss) and Hansi (Emma de Caunes), an icy blonde sadist with whom he falls in love. As the film evolves, we realize that this is a period of initiation for the young man until his mother can return and fully bring him to sexual maturity and adulthood.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Parks and Recreation Won't Return Unless There's a Story That 'Needs to Be Told,' Says Mike Schur
- 2. Legacies Finally Revealed the Truth About Malivore
- 3. Grey's Anatomy Recap: Amelia and Link Are Just Getting Started
- 4. What to Stream the Weekend of March 22
- 5. The World Needs One Day at a Time, Now More Than Ever
- 6. Looking for Alaska Casts a Riverdale Serpent and Girl Meets World's Hot Uncle
- 7. The Deadwood Movie Finally Gets a Teaser and Premiere Date