- Backed into the orchestra pit on the set of an early-'40s Broadway production after the cast and crew failed to warn him.
- Isolated the actors playing the "Sharks" and "Jets" before and after rehearsals for the musical West Side Story in order to build animosity between the two groups.
- Shared the 1961 Best Director Oscar for the film version of West Side Story with Robert Wise. Robbins is one of six first-time directors to win the award and is the only one to win for his sole film.
- Donated heavily to the Dance Collection (since renamed the Jerome Robbins Dance Division) of the New York Public Library, which still receives a percentage of the profits from Fiddler on the Roof.
- 1963, Tony — Producer (Dramatic): Nominee
- 1965, Tony — Director (Musical): Winner
- 1957, Tony — Choreographer: Nominee
- 1956, Emmy — Best Choreographer: Nominee
- 1960, Tony — Director (Musical): Nominee
- 1963, Tony — Play: Nominee
- 1961, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1961, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Winner
- 1948, Tony — Choreographer: Winner
- 1958, Tony — Choreographer: Winner
- 1961, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Winner
- 1965, Tony — Choreographer: Winner
- 1989, Tony — Director (Musical): Winner
- Sonia Cullinen — Sister
- Lena Rabinowitz — Mother
- Harry Rabinowitz — Father
- Attended New York University, New York, New York, United States
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Riverdale Cast Teases What to Expect from the Heathers Musical
- 2. The Best Documentaries on Netflix Right Now
- 3. Leaving Neverland Director Wants to Do a Sequel About Michael Jackson's Trial
- 4. Sabrina Embraces Her Dark Side in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 2 Trailer
- 5. Hallmark's When Calls the Heart Will Continue Without Lori Loughlin
- 6. How to Survive April's Incredibly Overwhelming TV Schedule
- 7. How Intimacy Coordinators Are Making Sex Scenes Safer for Actors