A bombshell who boasts brains to complement her beauty, this former Miss Illinois did a series of guest spots and TV-movies before becoming a geek goddess as a half-human, half-Cyborg sex symbol on Star Trek: Voyager in the late '90s. In 2001 the show ended, and Ryan traded her skin-tight costume for more sensible ensembles as a lawyer-turned-teacher on Boston Public, a role creator David E. Kelley penned specifically for her. After that show's demise, Ryan popped up as a guest on a number of series, notably The O.C. as a con artist, but the drama she faced on screen was nothing compared to her tumultuous personal life. When her former husband, Jack Ryan, ran for the Illinois state senate in 2004, details of their 1999 divorce became public, including her allegations that he had tried to pressure her into visiting sex clubs. But the scandal failed to tarnish the actress' reputation, and in 2006 she landed a regular role as a district attorney on Shark. Once that show ended, she maintained her presence on TV with guest roles on Law & Order: SVU, Leverage and Psych, before joining the main cast of the new show Body of Proof.
- Won the Miss Illinois pageant in 1989 and came in fourth place in the 1990 Miss America pageant.
- Her Star Trek: Voyager character Seven of Nine required a costume that was so tight at first, she passed out on set.
- David E. Kelly wrote the role of Ronnie Cooke on Boston Public specifically for her.
- During divorce proceedings, she alleged that her ex-husband Jack Ryan had pressured her into visiting sex clubs. This information became public in 2004 when he was campaigning for Illinois State senate and prompted him to withdraw from the race.
- Opened the French restaurant Ortolan in Los Angeles with her then-fiancé, now husband, chef Christophe Eme, in 2005. The restaurant appears in an episode of Boston Legal featuring Ryan.
- Alex Ryan — Son
- Sharon Zimmerman — Mother
- Jack Ryan — Ex-husband
- Jerry Zimmerman — Father
- Christophe Eme — Husband
- Mark Zimmerman — Brother
- Brannon Braga — Ex-significant Other
- Gisele Lynn Eme — Daughter
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, United States (BA in Theater, 1990)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Ryan Murphy Recruits Bette Midler for Netflix's The Politician
- 2. Should The OA Get a Season 3?
- 3. We Demand Justice for Old Knight, The OA's Telepathic Octopus
- 4. The Best Romance Shows and Movies to Stream on Netflix Right Now
- 5. What's Fact and Fiction in Netflix's Mötley Crüe Biopic The Dirt?
- 6. The Blacklist Gets the Band Back Together
- 7. Patricia Arquette's Kids Didn't Want Her to Star in Hulu's True Crime Story The Act