Like many of his British contemporaries, this dashing actor started out on stage. In fact, his big break came when he unexpectedly replaced Daniel Day-Lewis as Hamlet in the National Theatre's 1989 production. Northam worked on the BBC before making his first big impression stateside as an alluring villain opposite Sandra Bullock in 1995's The Net. While the classically trained player appeared in numerous British period pieces (Emma, The Winslow Boy, An Ideal Husband), he occasionally popped up in big-budget Hollywood fare (Mimic, The Invasion). He also proved he could hide his upper-crust British accent when he played crooner Dean Martin in the TV biopic Martin and Lewis. Being cast in a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced drama sounds like a healthy deal but his part was short-lived when the CBS drama Miami Medical was quickly cancelled.
- Big break came when Daniel Day-Lewis dropped out of the National Theatre's 1989 production of Hamlet; Northam was playing Osric and replaced him.
- Won an Olivier award as Best Promising Newcomer in a 1989 production of The Voysey Inheritance.
- Following numerous roles on British TV, made his U.S. film debut opposite Sandra Bullock in the cyber thriller The Net.
- Better known for his English period roles, he battled giant man-eating insects with Mira Sorvino in 1997's Mimic.
- Was tutored for his role as actor-composer Ivor Novello in Gosford Park by his brother Christopher, a classical pianist.
- Portrayed Sir Thomas More in The Tudors throughout the first and second seasons.
- 2016, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- John Northam — Father
- Tim Northam — Brother
- Christopher Northam — Brother
- Kate Northam — Sister
- Rachel Northam — Mother
- Rachel Howard — Mother
- Liz Moro — Ex-wife
- University of London, Royal Halloway College, Egham, Surrey, England (BA, 1983); Bristol Old Vic Theater School, Bristol, England
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – She's Gotta Have It, Rim of the World
- 2. Is The Society Renewed for Season 2?
- 3. The Week in Superlatives: Least Expected Burn, Best Kept Secret, and the Randomest Mic Drop
- 4. Adam Levine on Leaving The Voice: 'For Me, It Was Time to Move On'
- 5. Rim of the World Review: Stranger Things Rip-Off Is Dumb, but Watchable
- 6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Is the Best Indiana Jones Movie
- 7. Go Behind the Scenes of That Andre Flashback Scene in Marvel's Cloak and Dagger