- Founded what would become Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre Company in 1974 with his high-school friends Gary Sinise and Terry Kinney, and served as its artistic director in the 1980s.
- Met first wife, Laurie Metcalf, when both were theater students at Illinois State University.
- Made movie debut in Remember My Name, a 1978 drama produced by Robert Altman; appeared in The Wedding (directed by Altman) later that year.
- Has appeared on some 40 TV series, including Columbo, Family Ties, thirtysomething, L.A. Law, Frasier, NYPD Blue, ER, The West Wing, Lost, Prison Break, Cold Case, C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation and CSI: New York.
- Was a regular on CBS's Nash Bridges (1996-2001)
- A semiregular on Grey's Anatomy (he plays Meredith Grey's father, Thatcher), he's married to series casting director Linda Lowy.
- Linda Lowy — Wife
- Zoe Perry — Daughter
- Leah Perry — Daughter
- Laurie Metcalf — Ex-wife
- Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois, United States (BA in theater, 1978)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Most-Watched Netflix Originals, By the Numbers
- 2. Netflix's 2019 Originals: A Complete Guide
- 3. Dani Cares for Bright After an Accidental Drug Trip in Prodigal Son Sneak Peek
- 4. Helena Bonham Carter Will Not Take a Backseat to Olivia Colman in The Crown Season 3 Trailer
- 5. Best TV of the Decade: The Shows, Moments, and Trends That Defined the 2010s
- 6. The 25 Best Shows of the Decade
- 7. FX and FXX Had the Best Decade of Any Networks