The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
Let's Talk About Sex on TV, Baby
Sex Ed Week explores the ways TV is pushing boundaries forward – and the ways it still lets us down
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Magicians Finale Killed Off the One Person We Never Expected
- 2. The Bold Type Cast Wants a Crossover Episode with Good Trouble
- 3. The Perfectionists' Hayley Erin Reveals Just How Alike Taylor and Alison Are
- 4. The Perfectionists Leaned Heavily Into Its Pretty Little Liars Roots This Week
- 5. Sansa Stark Goes Mean Girls on Dany in Our Ridiculous Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 6. Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
- 7. Jeopardy! Host Alex Trebek Gives Health Update Following Cancer Diagnosis: 'I'm Feeling Good'