- A first-generation American, with family roots in Taiwan and China.
- Started playing badminton at age 8 when his father, a former Taiwanese badminton player, put a racket in his hand.
- Passion to succeed at badminton came at age 10 when he lost in his first tournament to the top junior and was insulted by the winner's mother; felt vindicated 14 years later when he won the 2014 Adult National Championship in Boston and was congratulated by the same player, who witnessed his victory.
- Won four international gold medals in 2015 (Botswana, South Africa, New Caledonia, Nigeria).
- Took home a bronze medal at the 2015 Pan American Games.
- Was USA's sole badminton men's singles player at the 2016 Olympics in Rio; he failed to medal.
- Collects sneakers, especially Jordans and other Nike shoes, with over 100 pairs in his collection.
- Jack Shu — Brother
- University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States (BS in Business Economics, 2013)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Ryan Murphy Recruits Bette Midler for Netflix's The Politician
- 2. Should The OA Get a Season 3?
- 3. We Demand Justice for Old Knight, The OA's Telepathic Octopus
- 4. The Best Romance Shows and Movies to Stream on Netflix Right Now
- 5. What's Fact and Fiction in Netflix's Mötley Crüe Biopic The Dirt?
- 6. The Blacklist Gets the Band Back Together
- 7. Patricia Arquette's Kids Didn't Want Her to Star in Hulu's True Crime Story The Act