The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Essential Marvel Movies to Watch Before Avengers: Endgame
- 2. Phil Keoghan Predicts the Final Two Teams of The Amazing Race Season 31
- 3. What to Stream the Weekend of April 26
- 4. Dallas Star Ken Kercheval Dead at 83
- 5. Taraji P Henson and Terrence Howard Write Letter Campaigning for Jussie Smollett's Return for Empire Season 6
- 6. 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' Is Game of Thrones' Best Episode Ever
- 7. Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen Are Still United in These Game of Thrones Episode 3 Photos