- Left school at 16 to pursue a career in the theater.
- Started out as a performer in Max Reinhardt's theater company before going on to star in silent comedies for Berlin's Bioscope film studio.
- Launched the career of actress Jeanette MacDonald, whom he cast opposite Maurice Chevalier in the 1929 musical The Love Parade.
- In 1935, was named head of production at Paramount.
- Became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1936.
- Broke new ground by filming scenes without recording any sound, later dubbing during post-production.
- 1946, Oscar — Special Award: Winner
- 1930, Oscar — Best Director: Nominee
- 1943, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1929, Oscar — Best Directing: Nominee
- Nicola Lubitsch — Daughter
- Anna Lindenstaedt — Mother
- Simon Lubitsch — Father
- Vivian Gaye — Ex-wife
- Helene Kraus — Ex-wife
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Avan Jogia and Kelli Berglund Read High Ideas from Reddit
- 2. Here's What's New on Netflix in April
- 3. What's Leaving Netflix in April
- 4. Kit Harington Says Game of Thrones Season 8 Gave Him 'Peace' About Jon Snow
- 5. Luke Perry Might Have Appeared in the Beverly Hills, 90210 Revival After All
- 6. 129 Things Degrassi Taught Me About Sex, Dating, and Puberty
- 7. When It Comes to Sex and Profanity on TV, Where the F*ck Do We Draw the Line?