- Left school at 16 to pursue a career in the theater.
- Started out as a performer in Max Reinhardt's theater company before going on to star in silent comedies for Berlin's Bioscope film studio.
- Launched the career of actress Jeanette MacDonald, whom he cast opposite Maurice Chevalier in the 1929 musical The Love Parade.
- In 1935, was named head of production at Paramount.
- Became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1936.
- Broke new ground by filming scenes without recording any sound, later dubbing during post-production.
- 1930, Oscar — Best Director: Nominee
- 1929, Oscar — Best Directing: Nominee
- 1943, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1946, Oscar — Special Award: Winner
- Simon Lubitsch — Father
- Helene Kraus — Ex-wife
- Anna Lindenstaedt — Mother
- Nicola Lubitsch — Daughter
- Vivian Gaye — Ex-wife
Every Episode of Game of Thrones, Ranked From Worst to Best
Find out which episode of the HBO hit reigns supreme.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Show Could Fill the One Day at a Time Void in Your Life
- 2. Last Man Standing Exclusive: Eve Gets Tough with the Baxters' Foreign Exchange Student
- 3. Hanna Review: Now This Is How You Turn a Movie Into a TV Series
- 4. Lizzy Caplan and Elsie Fisher Will Step Into a Stephen King Classic in Castle Rock Season 2
- 5. Everything to Know About The Sopranos Movie, Newark
- 6. Jane the Virgin Boss Previews Michael's Return: 'It Affects the Whole Season'
- 7. One Day at a Time and Sex Education Are Helping Immigrants and Their Queer Kids Bridge the Generational Gap