- Nicknamed E.J.
- In 1991, adopted Michael, a 3-year-old Romanian boy who was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy a year later and is permanently confined to a wheelchair after a fall that broke his hip. Johnson was moved to adopt the boy after viewing a TV program about the plight of Romanian orphans.
- Adopted Carmen, a 7-month-old girl, from Paraguay in 1993.
- Worked Atlanta Braves play-by-play with his father, Ernie Johnson Sr., a former Braves pitcher.
- Has worked in varying capacities on TNT and TBS sports broadcasts, including basketball, college football, tennis and baseball; also covered the Olympics in Albertville, France, and Lillehammer, Norway.
- Went public in 2006 with a previous diagnosis of follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after a growth near a lymph node had become noticeable to viewers.
- Active in the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- In 2007, he was the first recipient of the honorary "John Wooten Keys to Life Award," which honors people for such qualities as faith, integrity and character.
- Likes to joke about his receding hairline.
- Carmen — Daughter
- Cheryl — Wife
- Maggie — Daughter
- Eric — Son
- Michael — Son
- Ernie Johnson Sr. — Father
- University of Georgia (BA from the Henry Grady School of Journalism
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Oscars 2019: What Time Are the Oscars and How to Watch Online
- 2. The Blacklist: More Truths About (the Real) Reddington Are Revealed
- 3. Outlander Boss Addresses Jamie and Claire's Sex Drought
- 4. Tracee Ellis Ross on How Black-ish Enlisted Octavia Spencer to School Us for Black History Month
- 5. The Originals' Leah Pipes Is Headed to Another Witchy CW Series, and It's Not Legacies
- 6. Sizzy Will Heat Up in Shadowhunters' Final Season
- 7. Jane the Virgin Creator Is Bringing Jaime Camil to Her New Comedy