- Earned money playing piano for local theater productions at the age of 14.
- Was roommates with actor Anthony Edwards at the University of Southern California.
- Studied theater under Stella Adler, William Taylor and Peggy Feury.
- Made his feature-film debut in 1982's Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
- Originally cast as Marty McFly in the movie Back to the Future. After six weeks of filming, director Robert Zemeckis replaced him with Michael J. Fox because Stoltz was "too intense."
- First took up directing with the 2001 TV-movie My Horrible Year!
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1989, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Play): Nominee
- 1995, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- Bridget Fonda — Ex-significant Other
- Catherine Stoltz — Sister
- Evelyn B. Stoltz — Mother
- Susan R. Stoltz — Sister
- Jack Stoltz — Father
- Jennifer Jason Leigh — Ex-significant Other
- Attended University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Jim Carrey Is Back and Weirder Than Ever in Kidding Season 2 Official Trailer
- 2. Listen to Every Episode of Survivor Brothers Here
- 3. Survivor: Island of the Idols: We Need to Talk About Those Gigantic Wooden Heads
- 4. The Good Doctor Cast Offers Pro Tips for Shaun Murphy's First Official Date
- 5. Meet Morris Chestnut's Smooth-Talking Surgeon in This Resident Sneak Peek
- 6. The Big Bang Theory's Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik Are Teaming Up for a New Comedy
- 7. Disenchantment Season 2 Review: It's a Good Serialized Show, but a Not-So-Good Fantasy Sitcom