The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage
Every recap, review, ranking, explainer, and fan theory you need
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Marvel's Cloak and Dagger Takes Us Behind the Scenes of Tyrone's Tense Heist
- 2. Gotham Boss on the Batman-Centric Series Finale: 'It Means We Told the Story Properly'
- 3. Stan Lee's Final MCU Cameo in Avengers: Endgame Is a Heartwarming Send-off
- 4. All Signs Point to Brett and Casey Steaming Things Up on Chicago Fire
- 5. Manstead Is Dead on Chicago Med, Long Live Leestead
- 6. How to Watch the NFL Draft 2019 on TV and Streaming
- 7. Chicago P.D.'s Burgess Flirted with Darkness in an Emotionally Charged Episode