A British bombshell who made her name as a lively presenter on the popular morning series The Big Breakfast, Van Outen also wowed her countrymen with her sexy turn as Roxie the merry murderess in the West End production of Chicago, a part she reprised on Broadway in 2002. While she tackled a handful of small-screen parts, Van Outen was most successful just being herself, which led to numerous hosting gigs. Even when she wasn't working, she stayed in the public eye via the tabloids, which enjoyed shining a spotlight on her active love life and rambunctious antics. (Her exes include nightclub boss Richard Traviss and Jamiroquai front man Jay Kay). In 2007, Van Outen exported her risqué persona to the U.S. as the cohost of the Broadway reality competition Grease: You're the One That I Want. After that stint ended, she served as a judge on the BBC talent shows I'd Do Anything and Any Dream Will Do. A romance followed with Any Dream Will Do winner Lee Mead, who became her husband. More TV hosting and presenting gigs came to her on talent and variety shows, and she also flexed her acting chops in made-for-TV movies and British dramas like Where the Heart Is and Hotel Babylon. In 2010, she gave birth to a daughter, Betsy, and the experience inspired her to design a line of maternity clothes. As her domestic life settled, she returned to the stage, accepting a role in London's West End production of Legally Blonde: The Musical.
- Paid her way through theater school by modeling and acting.
- Made her stage debut at age 11 in a West End production of Les Miserables.
- As a member of the pop duo Those 2 Girls in the mid-'90s, she scored two top-40 hits.
- Reportedly stole an ashtray and flashed her bra at Prince Charles while visiting Buckingham Palace.
- Claimed to have once e-mailed British pop singer George Michael to ask him out on a date, not realizing he was openly gay.
- Served as a judge on the BBC talent series Any Dream Will Do, and eventually romanced and wed the winner, Lee Mead.
- In 2010, announced plans to launch a line of maternity clothes.
- Betsy Mead — Daughter
- Lee Mead — Husband
- Mary Matthews — Grandmother
- Bill Crawley — Grandfather
- Ted Outen — Father
- Jay Kay — Ex-fiancé
- Jackie — Sister
- Richard Traviss — Ex-significant Other
- Andy Miller — Ex-significant Other
- Kathleen Outen — Mother
- Terry Outen — Brother
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorites shows - Start Now
- 1. The Celebrity Big Brother Season 2 Cast Reveals Their Biggest Live-Feed Fears
- 2. Star Trek: Discovery Will Explore Number One's Relationship with Captain Pike
- 3. Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Is Stronger and More Fun
- 4. Dynasties Is a Powerful and Necessary New Species of Nature Documentary
- 5. The Passage Will Show How Project Noah Got Started in Episode 2
- 6. Olicity Will Be a 'Force to Reckon With' When Arrow Returns
- 7. Netflix Is Rebooting Unsolved Mysteries, the OG True Crime Show