- Is the youngest of six siblings.
- Competed in the Miss New Jersey pageant as a teen.
- Moved from New Jersey to Los Angeles at age 19 to pursue acting.
- Pursued stand-up comedy at 21 after a DUI, when she had to tell her story to a class of other offenders and it made them laugh.
- Big break came when she made a video of herself talking about her experiences as a waitress, sent it to L.A.'s Improv comedy club and was invited to perform there.
- Relased her first best-selling book, My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, in 2005.
- Shoshanna — Sister
- Rita Handler — Mother
- Ted Harbert — Ex-significant Other
- Roy Handler — Brother
- Simone — Sister
- Chet Handler — Brother
- Andre Balazs — Ex-significant Other
- Glen Handler — Brother
- Seymour Handler — Father
- 1. The Most Popular Show of 2018 Isn't Even on Anymore
- 2. Where to Stream Penny Marshall's Best Movies and TV Shows
- 3. All the TV Marathons Airing on Christmas
- 4. There's a Queer as Folk Reboot in the Works at Bravo
- 5. Penny Marshall, Prolific Actress and Director, Dead at 75
- 6. George Takei Is Headed to AMC's The Terror
- 7. NBC Sets Premiere Dates for John Legend's Season of The Voice and Much More