- When she was just starting out, she worked as a disc jockey when acting jobs were unavailable.
- Was discovered while studying acting at Pasadena Playhouse.
- Made her television debut in Schlitz Playhouse of Stars.
- Cast in From Here to Eternity but had to bow out due to illness; the part went to Donna Reed.
- Was Oscar nominated for her role in The Bachelor Party (1957) despite being on-screen for only five minutes.
- In 1964, she took on her most famous role as Morticia Addams on The Addams Family.
- Joined the cast of the CBS soap Capitol in 1982, but was diagnosed with colon cancer soon after and played most of her scenes in a wheelchair.
- 1957, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1958, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Winner
- 1964, Golden Globe — Actress in a Television Series: Nominee
- Bette Moriarty — Sister
- Jeannette Jones — Mother
- Herbert S. Greene — Ex-husband
- Aaron Spelling — Ex-husband
- Julius Jones — Father
- Peter Bailey-Britton — Husband
- Attended Pasadena Playhouse, Pasadena, California, United States (1950)