- Wanted to join the UK's Merchant Navy, but was not able to due to his poor eyesight.
- Began acting at the Manchester Repertory Theatre in 1945.
- Appeared in the original West End production of Pal Joey in 1954.
- Suffered a stroke in his dressing room before a performance of Home at Seven at the Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham.
- In 2010, a statue of him, as Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army, was unveiled in Norfolk.
- 1974, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actor: Winner
- Arthur Lowe — Father
- Joan Cooper — Wife
- Mary Annie Ford — Mother
- Stephen Lowe — Son
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Everything We Know About the 2019 Primetime Emmy Awards
- 2. Creative Arts Emmys 2019: Complete Winners List
- 3. Rest Easy, Friends Fans, A Reboot Is Never Happening
- 4. I Watched All of Netflix's Abysmally Bad The I-Land So You Don't Have To
- 5. James Spader Reveals What Made Him Decide to Do The Blacklist
- 6. First Teaser for Supernatural's Final Season Marks The Woman in White's Return
- 7. Felicity Huffman Sentenced to Two Weeks in Jail For College Cheating Scandal