The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
The Best Big Bang Theory Guest Stars, Ranked
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Trailer for Ava DuVernay's Central Park Five Series When They See Us Is Deeply Unsettling
- 2. Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear Are Recreating All in the Family and The Jeffersons With an All-Star Cast
- 3. 25 Movies Streaming on Criterion Channel to Help You Become the Ultimate Film Snob
- 4. 9 Reasons You Need BritBox, Especially If You're a Doctor Who Fan
- 5. The Week in Superlatives: Rowdiest Fight, Biggest Fake-Out, and Creepiest Karaoke Session
- 6. The Best New Shows and Movies on Netflix This Week – Someone Great, Tim Robinson's Sketch Show
- 7. Station 19 Just Tried to Pull a This Is Us with Chief Ripley