- Studied piano at the Chicago Conservatory, philosophy at Marquette University and acting at Los Angeles' Lee Strasberg Institute.
- Toured as a musician for more than 10 years with a number of different rock bands.
- Posed in Playboy magazine in the 1970s smeared in jelly to promote her rock band Jelly.
- Appeared opposite husband Ed Harris in Places in the Heart (1984), Alamo Bay (1985), Riders of the Purple Sage (1996), Pollock (2000), Just a Dream (2002), Winter Passing (2005) and Gone Baby Gone (2007).
- Served on the national board of NARAL Pro-Choice America, a pro-choice/women's rights organization.
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1989, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Female: Nominee
- 2008, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 1985, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1990, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1998, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Female: Nominee
- 1983, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Nominee
- Dolores Hanlon — Mother
- Ed Harris — Husband
- Lily Dolores Harris — Daughter
- John Madigan — Father
- Dolores Madigan — Mother
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States (BA in Philosophy, 1972)
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Most Painful Snubs and Happiest Surprises of the 2019 Emmy Nominations
- 2. Hannah Finally Came to Jesus on The Bachelorette
- 3. Breaking Down Game of Thrones' Most (and Least) Deserved Emmy Nominations
- 4. Game of Thrones Robbed Better Call Saul's Rhea Seehorn of an Emmy Nomination
- 5. What's Coming to and Leaving Hulu in August 2019
- 6. Julia Roberts Had the Best Reaction to Her Emmys Snub
- 7. Christina Applegate Had 'Zero Expectations' About Surprise Dead to Me Emmy Nomination