The venerable show that became one of TV's sturdiest (and most profitable) institutions, and a window into American culture. Like `Today,' `Tonight' was the brainchild of NBC exec Sylvester `Pat' Weaver. Originally telecast live from New York, it went to tape in the late '50s (which enabled censors to snip Jack Paar's `w.c.' joke, prompting him to walk off the show) and to L.A in 1972, so his successor, Johnny Carson---who hosted the show for 30 years---could have access to more celebrities.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Gotham Series Finale Sneak Peek: Check Out Grown Up Catwoman in Action
- 2. The Essential Marvel Movies to Watch Before Avengers: Endgame
- 3. Phil Keoghan Predicts the Final Two Teams of The Amazing Race Season 31
- 4. What to Stream the Weekend of April 26
- 5. Dallas Star Ken Kercheval Dead at 83
- 6. Taraji P Henson and Terrence Howard Write Letter Campaigning for Jussie Smollett's Return for Empire Season 6
- 7. 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms' Is Game of Thrones' Best Episode Ever