Pride and Prejudice 1980 | TV Show Watchlist
A British adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel about the perils of courtship rituals follows self-absorbed Fitzwilliam Darcy's efforts to woo stubborn Elizabeth Bennet. The miniseries originally ran in five parts on `Masterpiece Theatre.'
Premiered: January 13, 1980
Latest Full EpisodesSee all »
After Lydia is married, she and Wickham come to Longbourn for a visit before joining Wickham's new regiment in the North. She is as silly as ever and very proud of her success in catching Wickham, even offering to get husbands for her sisters. But she accidentally lets slip that Darcy was at her wedding. Elizabeth writes to Mrs Gardiner for an explanation.
The following day, the Bingleys and Georgiana (Darcy's sister) arrive at Pemberley. Soon after, they call upon Elizabeth, who is staying nearby at the inn in Lambton. The visit is a success: Elizabeth immediately warms to Georgiana and Mr Bingley is clearly delighted to see Elizabeth again.
Angry and upset over his rejection, Darcy decides to defend himself. Not every insult she flung at him was fair. He waylays her on her morning walk, hands her a letter and leaves. The contents leave Elizabeth reeling. Wickham, far from being hard done by, was a loose-living scoundrel who had no intention of joining the church and had instead accepted money in compensation. Worse, he had tried to elope with Georgiana, Darcy's 15-year-old sister, just to gain access to her fortune.
Less than three days after Mr Collins' proposal to her, Elizabeth is shocked to discover that he has been accepted by her best friend, Charlotte Lucas. Elizabeth cannot believe Charlotte can demean herself so, but her friend tells her that she cannot afford to be choosy and Mr Collins is a good catch. The marriage is to be soon, but Charlotte begs her to visit them at Hunsford Parsonage in March.
Cast & Details See all »
- Premiered: January 13, 1980
- Rating: None
- User Rating:
- Premise: A British adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel about the perils of courtship rituals follows self-absorbed Fitzwilliam Darcy's efforts to woo stubborn Elizabeth Bennet. The miniseries originally ran in five parts on `Masterpiece Theatre.' (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
By Audible StudiosBuy New: $27.95
By Skyhorse PublishingBuy New: $11.85
By Quirk BooksBuy New: $8.91
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life