Season 1, Episode 7 What Is Freedom?
First Aired: January 24, 2003
“What Is Freedom?” explores post-Civil War Reconstruction and the rise of segregation. Voices include Julia Roberts (Virginia Eyewitness), Kevin Spacey (Sidney Andrews), Martin Sheen (Thaddeus Stevens), Freeman (Frederick Douglass), Whoopi Goldberg (Millie Freeman), Matthew Broderick (John Marshall Harlan), Charles Dutton (Benjamin Arnett), Aidan Quinn (Philadelphia Press Journal), Samuel L. Jakcson (Isaiah Wears), Ving Rhames (W.E.B. DuBois), Al Roker (Henry McNeal Turner), Robert Redford (Carl Schurz), Matthew McConaughey (Andrew Johnson) and Stanley Tucci (Rutherford B. Hayes). Katie Couric narrates.
Cast & Details See all »
- Premiered: January 12, 2003
- Rating: TV-G
- User Rating:
- Premise: A 16-part history of the U.S., as told by historical figures (noted actors supply the voices), plus occasional commentary. Based on books by Joy Hakim. (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2
- 5. Wayward Pines: Where Paradise Is Home
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. The Blacklist: Tom Connolly