This week on 30 Rock, George Clooney, Tom Cruise and Britney Spears guest-starred as ... oh, wait. There were no ginormous guest stars! Did I TiVo the right show?! Yeah, I'm a tad bitter, like in a Lonny Ross kind of way. But on with the recap of this refreshing episode!
Admit it - this week was nice, just a tale of Liz and Jack, and Tracy vs. Kenneth. Plus, the high-school reunion plot had a nice twist, as Mickey and I were saying the other day: Liz thought she was the victim back in the day, when in reality she was the mean girl. I loved the two versions of the flashback, one where mousy Liz mumbles into her telescope (telescope?), and the other where she fires a zinger back at the class mate. "How's your mom's pill addiction?" Ha!
Don Geiss lives! Alas, the indefatigable geezer thinks he has some CEO days left in the tank. Or, at least that's what the beam of light/possible unborn Aztec king told him. So distraught Jack headed to Miami - home of "ass, and burgeoning art scene" - but got held over in ol' White Haven, Pa. Hmm, things have changed there since Liz's teen years, what with the infusion of Vietnamese restaurants and "detour sign" tourist traps. Better wear your kon dong (sp?)!
Back at the Rock, Tracy is upset/insecure because Kenneth has turned stand-up sensation in the building elevator, turning out high-sterical jokes like, "This must be the local." (Meanwhile, Tracy's riff on Star Trek's lack of Puerto Ricans was pretty funny, though I recall a Klingon or two being possibles. Tracy takes his grievance to Jenna, who is aghast to realize that yes, Kenneth IS stomping on their turf and threatening their raison d'etre. ("If there weren't actors, how would people know who to vote for?") Tracy and Jenna set Ken straight by taking over as overeager pages, much to his horror ... and plentiful tears.
Things at Liz-the-pariah's reunion get really crazy when Jack assumes the identity of class favorite Larry Braverman. Oh, how people love Larry! Especially when he regales them with tales of, say, how his car broke down ... because of having too much sex in it!
Jack is approached by Jessica, whom Larry obviously has quite the tortured history with. ("I didn't know what say because of... the things"; "Say what you said to me that night at the lake?" "No.") Ultimately, Jessica introduces "Larry" to his son, at which point Jack quickly gives up the jig.
Liz, though, has a few last things to say to her former class mates. After dodging getting "Carrie'd" by the gang, she lashes out at the "wailing IHOP monkeys." And then, for good measure: "Lemon, out!"
- "Your credit card company called; they wanted to make sure you're the one buying cream soda in bulk."
- "Your landlord says, "It is not the toilet, it's you."
- Kenneth's high-school reunion at the apparently all-African-American Lone Mountain High - and his tense run-in with Taniqua.
- Tracy's high-school reunion ... at a school for deaf girls?
- "Cathy CEO" posing for the cover of the quarterly report, with her magna-doodle board.
- "What if something bad happened to [Cathy]? Then we'd have a secret that bound us together!"
- "What's that flavor?" "Dove Age-Fighting Acne Cream."
- "I wish I had a Princeton reunion right now. Wipe that smug smile off Michelle Obama's face."
- "The ugly duckling has transformed into... a vaguely ethnic swan."
- Liz's new catchphrase: "I want to go to there."
- Tracy's angry chair.
- "Making up words won't save you!"
- "Cat anus, cat anus, cat anus!"
- Liz's airplane confessions, though a bit derivative of the Oprah episode.
- "A Manhattan, please." "Sure, what kind of bourbon?" Beat. "A white wine spritzer, please."
- "Cocoon, and then flap-flap-flap, butterfly!"
- "Still think I'm gayer than the volleyball scene in Top Gun?"
- "Rich 50 is middle-class 38."
- "What is up with [the wardrobe gal's baby]? So she can put her feet in her mouth. So can I!"
- "Let's all do the Diane!" Er, maybe not.
- Jenna belting out "Wind Beneath My Wings."
- Diane Neal was in this episode...?
- Jack playing "7 Minutes in Heaven," but landing on Liz, not Jessica.
- "Just to be clear, we're not making out - that would be social suicide."
- "It comes with a $50 gift certificate to Outback Steeeeak-hoouse!"
- "We all have ways of coping. I use sex, and awesomeness." I so want that on a T-shirt!
This week on 30 Rock
, George Clooney, Tom Cruise and Britney Spears guest-starred as ... oh, wait. There were
no ginormous guest stars! Did I TiVo the right show?! Yeah, I'm a tad bitter, like in a Lonny Ross kind of way. But on with the recap of this refreshing episode!