Oh, how I love impressionists. No, not the painters, but guys like Rich Little, Fred Travalena.... (Yeah, I'm old.) But back to my point, I was glad to see "TGS'" Josh get a story on this week's
30 Rock. Granted,
Lonny Ross didn't appear to actually be "doing" Jack Donaghy/
Alec Baldwin, but his Tracy Morgan was pretty good (if not missing a few of the tonal spasms).
This episode, at the risk of being the kind of warm/fuzzy TV that
Seinfeld made an art of avoiding, had a theme of sorts: mothers. Liz, spurred on by the "insight" of Cerie, of all people - aka she who wants to name her someday-daughter Bookcase or Sandstorm (but not Hat, because that's obviously a boy's name) - now feels her maternal clock ticking. This elicits way,
way too many babydaddy offers. (Judah, for one, can promise a child with "strong flat feet.")
Jack, meanwhile, is trying to avoid the dreaded "407" call, meaning from his mother. Yes, the cocksure alpha dog has a mess of Mommy issues. Example: "She sent me to Vietnam to make a man out of me. I was 12."
All told, a solid episode, if a bit too theme-y for my broad-sitcom liking.
- Judah, re: Cerie's engagement: "This isn't gonna change the way you dress, or eat lollipops, is it?"
- Liz, squeezing Jack for a few budget bucks: "
Dateline has jackets."
- Tracy's own impression of Liz: "I like to wear men's shirts. I like to skateboard." Rivals his Cosby, yes?
- Cerie on her whirlwind courtship: "It'll be two months in... three weeks."
Chris Parnell's Dr. Spaceman noting that not only is he a fertility specialist, but he also specializes in meth addiction and child psych. (Let's hope he has few crossover patients!)
Rachel Dratch's cat wrangler revealing to Liz, "Sometimes I watch you... watching [TV]."
- Josh as Jack: "I keep pooping during sex," and promising Tracy an invisible motorcycle.
- Jenna telling a tabloid her favorite book is the Koran, because "I just want to sound smart."
- Jack re: Mom's indefatigability: "She will outlive you. She's like Castro."
- And lastly, Liz on the makeup girl's kidnapped tot: "Anna calls her Isabelle, but I call her Nancy."
Great coda with Kenneth and his own "mother."
Question: Could it be "TGS'"
Josh actually doing those Blockbuster-commercial voice-overs?
Oh how I love impressionists No not the painters but guys like Rich Little Fred Travalena Yeah Im old But back to my point I was glad to see TGS Josh get a story on this weeks 30 Rock Granted Lonny Ross didnt appear to actually be doing Jack DonaghyAlec Baldwin but his Tracy Morgan was pretty good if not missing a few of the tonal spasmsThis episode at the risk of being the kind of warmfuzzy TV that Seinfeld made an art of avoiding had a theme of sorts mothers Liz spurred on by the insight of Cerie of all people aka she who wants to name her someday-daughter Bookcase or Sandstorm but not Hat because thats obviously a boys name now feels her maternal clock ticking This elicits way way too many babydaddy offers Judah for one can promise a child with strong flat feet Jack meanwhile is trying to avoid the dreaded 407 call meaning from his mother Yes the cocksure alpha dog has a mess of Mommy issues Example She