this is what I'm talking about. Second-tier cast integration, multiple stories going on, intimations that
Condoleezza Rice likes phone sex (just not when she's en route to a state funeral).... Another winning week for NBC's
30 Rock .
See, a lesser show would build a whole episode around Jack Donaghy's on-the-QT romance with Condi, but the
Rock made it that much funnier by playing it in the background and thus getting to be more outrageous with it. For what it's worth, I don't think the union was meant to be, considering the assorted suggestions Jack had for his honey's hair, teeth, etc. - and his drawing the line at Abu Ghraib role-playing in the boudoir.
It's a bit sad to see Dennis get sent packing, as he was an excellent way to make Liz exhausted/embarrassed. But aside from what we knew about him already, did you freeze-frame Liz's list of "cons"? I did. Among them:
- Has seen me throw up
- Wears acid-washed denim
- Reads the
Dateline: Predator bust was the last straw. (Or is that something a Domino's pizza can ultimately smooth over?)
And then there was Tracy and Twofer's tremendously topical (yet accidentally so, see
my Q&A with "Kenneth") journey into cultural sensitivity awareness, laudable alone for its revelation that a "Black Frasier" exists. "It's
huge on BET," says Tracy. "Every Thursday at about 9, 9:15." Awesome to see the actual
Frasier set, by the way.
This week in giggles:
- Dennis selling Liz on a wall-mounted TV like so: "Its gonna be like a hospital!"
- Liz on Dennis' reluctance to move out: "Which is it: You love me, or you've got squatter's rights?"
- Liz reacting to Jenna's "girls night out" invite: "You mean, like, a discotheque?"
- Jack, to Liz: Why are you crying? The Liberty lose another game last night?"
- Tracy, frustrated: "Shamanda could have been a movie!" - a pointed nod to
SNL's penchant for turning sketches into films.
- Tracy questions Twofer's blackness: "Look at you standing there with your pants that fit, using a wallet, drinking Starbucks."
- Liz evaluating a gaggle of singles-bar gents: "They look like the firm of Date-Rape, Coke-ington, Cheeseball and Jag."
- Dennis' advice to Jack: "Let me tell you about 20-year-olds, my friend. Half of them are 16."
And don't even get me started on Dennis' goodbye letter to Liz. That's a blog unto itself.
P.S. Congrats to
30 Rock on its
two Writers Guild Awards nods, and its
Golden Globes nomination for
Now this is what Im talking about Second-tier cast integration multiple stories going on intimations that Condoleezza Rice likes phone sex just not when shes en route to a state funeral Another winning week for NBCs 30 Rock See a lesser show would build a whole episode around Jack Donaghys on-the-QT romance with Condi but the Rock made it that much funnier by playing it in the background and thus getting to be more outrageous with it For what its worth I dont think the union was meant to be considering the assorted suggestions Jack had for his honeys hair teeth etc and his drawing the line at Abu Ghraib role-playing in the boudoir Its a bit sad to see Dennis get sent packing as he was an excellent way to make Liz exhaustedembarrassed But aside from what we knew about him already did you freeze-frame Lizs list of cons I did Among them Loves Family Guy Has seen me throw up Wears acid-washed denim Reads the P