"No more friendship... I'm done." If those words sound familiar to Real Housewives fans, that's because they are. Only two days after the longtime bond between Jacqueline Laurita and Teresa Giudice's was shattered on The Real Housewives of New Jersey, the close friendship between Vicki Gunvalson and Tamra Barney came crumbling down on Tuesday's Orange County season finale. And these are only two of the many platonic break-ups the Bravo franchise has endured in recent years. If The Bachelor has a horrible track record with romantic break-ups, The Real Housewives franchise is the queen bee when it comes to ending friendships. Need proof? Look no further than the five worst spats in Housewives history:
5. Vicki Gunvalson and Jeana Keough, O.C.: They lived down the street from each other. Their kids went to school together. They went on vacations together. But the franchise's original BFFs did not stand the test of time. We can't really blame the end of Vicki and Jeana's friendship on the Real Housewives, as much as an investment gone very, very bad. (Note to self: Business and pleasure don't mix). But no matter if it was Jeana's asking to borrow money from Vicki, and Vicki turning her down, or Vicki's growing friendship with Tamra, Vicki and Jeana's eventual drift apart was nonetheless heartbreaking for fans who felt they followed them from the start. The two only had nice things to say about each other in the Season 7 finale, but their glory days still seem to be behind them.
4. NeNe Leakes and Kim Zolciak, Atlanta: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times during NeNe and Kim's rollercoaster relationship. On their best days, the two enjoyed a close and hilariously honest candor with one another that was unlike any other friendship on the show. Too bad it never lasted long. Because of their close connection, the two also knew how to hit each other right where it hurt, like when NeNe memorably told Kim to "close your legs to married men" and in Season 2, when Kim accused NeNe of strangling her off-camera. Things reached a fever — and almost physical — pitch in Season 3 during their infamous bus fight when NeNe criticized Kim's singing career and how Kim treated her assistant, and Kim blasted NeNe's new on-air anchor job. After that, their friendship never fully recovered, but luckily NeNe has since found a new target for her verbal tirades: Coach Sue Sylvester on Glee.
3. Teresa Giudice and Jacqueline Laurita, New Jersey: Hasn't poor Jacqueline been through enough? Back in Season 2, Danielle Staub turned on her when Danielle threatened to sue Jacqueline's daughter for pulling her hair. However, it was the Season 4 blow-up between Jacqueline and longtime bud Teresa Giudice earlier this week that really seemed to push Jacqueline to what she herself called a "complete breakdown." We can't say we didn't see it coming — Teresa isn't really on good terms with any other member of the cast — but the fact that their 15-year-relationship deteriorated just because Teresa refused to open up about her financial and legal issues to Jacqueline days after talking to the tabloids is a sad truth. But at least Jacqueline learned from her previous mistake and chose her family, i.e. Caroline Manzo, over her polarizing BFF. At least now Jacqueline doesn't have to worry about getting name-dropped in Teresa's next cook book.
2. Vicki Gunvalson and Tamra Barney, O.C.: Hell froze over not once, but twice this season on the original Housewives. First, Tamra buried her long-standing hatchet with Gretchen Rossi and became friends just a year after Tamra blasted Gretchen's boyfriend, Slade Smiley, for not paying child support. Then, in the season finale, Tamra's bond with Vicki went from slightly shaky to irreparable when Vicki's boyfriend, Brooks, accused Tamara of giving Vicki the "evil eye." What seemed like a simple (and very weird) miscommunication quickly escalated into Vicki screaming at Tamra. "She just lost me," Vicki told the camera. "No apology will ever be enough for what Tamra has just done." After Tamra helped Vicki through her divorce, her daughter's cancer scare and her own hospitalization, and Vicki supported Tamra through her ugly split, and subsequent battle custody battle, we hoped these two could drink and make-up. Vicki, don't hold your breath for that wedding invite.
1. Jill Zarin and Bethenny Frankel, New York: We still get a little misty-eyed when thinking about the sudden and tumultuous final chapter of the former BFFs' time together. Not only did they enjoy the closest friendship on the show, but the reason for their spat had by far the most emotional weight compared to the normally superficial Real Housewives arguments about cake bows and birthday parties. Jill accused Bethenny of not reaching out enough when her husband, Bobby, was in the hospital with cancer. But when Bethenny tried to patch things up, Jill rebuffed her time and time again. By the time Jill was ready to come around and reached out to a newly engaged and pregnant Bethenny when her estranged dad suddenly died, the damage had already been done and too much time had passed for it to be fixed. The duo shared one last painfully awkward lunch and wished each other well at the reunion, but until this day, true NYC fans wish Bethenny's daughter Bryn had an "Aunt Jill" in her life.
The Real Housewives of New Jersey airs Sundays at 10/9c on Bravo. The Real Housewives of NYC and Orange County airs Mondays and Tuesdays, respectively, at 9/8c.
Do you agree with our list? What arguments do you think should have made the list?