Let the Oscar handicapping commence! The National Board of Review kicked off the movie awards season on Wednesday by picking Quills the racy drama about the Marquis de Sade starring Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslet as the best film of the year. Julia Roberts was named best actress for Erin Brockovich and best actor went to Javier Bardem for Before Night Falls. Joaquin Phoenix was chosen best supporting actor for his performances in three films: Gladiator, Quills and The Yards, while best supporting actress went to Lupe Ontiveros for the indie Chuck and Buck. Other winners: Steven Soderbergh (best director for Erin Brockovich and Traffic), Ted Tally (best screenplay for All the Pretty Horses), State and Main (best ensemble), The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg (best documentary), Chicken Run (best animated feature) and Jamie Bell (best young actor for Billy Elliot).
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. A.D. The Bible Continues: The First Martyr
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. Jane The Virgin: Chapter Twenty-One