Harry Potter still has that magic touch at the box office. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the sequel to last year's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, grossed $87.7 million during its opening weekend just $3 million shy of its predecessor's debut haul one year ago. That makes Secrets the third biggest opening on record, behind Spider-Man ($114.8 million) and Stone ($90.3 million). Last weekend's top grosser, Eminem's 8 Mile, saw a steep decline following its huge debut. The film fell to No. 2 with $21.3 million, down 58 percent from its opening weekend. Its 10-day total stands at a $86.4 million. Rounding out the top five: The Santa Clause 2 (No. 3 with $15.1 million), The Ring (No. 4 with $11 million) and the new Steven Seagal actioner Half Past Dead (No. 5 with $8.2 million). The Ring, by the way, became the 17th film of the year to surpass the $100 million mark.
- 1. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 2. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 3. America's Got Talent: Season 10 Premiere
- 4. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 5. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. I Can Do That: The Harlem Globetrotters, Penn and Teller, AiRealistic