Kathy Griffin's Emmy winning Bravo reality series My Life on the D-List ended in 2009, but the unapologetic red-headed comedian is back —this time with a self-titled talk show. Griffin promises that Kathy, a weekly series that premieres Thursday at 10/9c, will stay true to her no-holds-barred style, which means drinking on set will be frequent, and clothing will be optional.
"I'll drop an F bomb as well as my pants at any time for a laugh," Griffin told reporters. "I'm going to really have a lack of structure that'll be dazzling to [viewers] and will be a nightmare for the editing booth."
Griffin has become a seasoned pro at pissing people off, and her show is sure to do the same. Below are eight things you can expect from Kathy.
1. There will be absolutely no celebrities. Griffin's comedic style hinges on her repeated and incessant bashing of A-listers. "I prefer to talk about people behind their backs," she says. "I want to be able to really talk smack about them, which I can't do if they're sitting in a swivel chair two inches away from me."
2. No boxed wine! Griffin's mom Maggie, who made frequent appearances on My Life on the D-List, became best known for her wine-in-a-box drinking habit. But viewers expecting the 91-year-old to sit alongside her daughter swilling Franzia will inevitably be disappointed. "My mother, who has become a rather famous international superstar, is trying to pull some typical diva BS where now she wants wine in a bottle," Griffin says.
Kathy Griffin will keep talking for Bravo
3. There will be lots of Rick Santorum bashing. Even though Santorum is no longer in the presidential race, he won't be immune to Griffin's wrath. "He is still very much on my gaydar," Griffin says. "You might just have to hear some of my favorite Rick Santorum quotes. He doesn't even walk upright at this point, that's how backwards this guy is.
4. It will not be Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live. If the conversation lends itself to having a Bravo personality as a guest, Griffin might consider it, but she's by no means obligated to feature "Bravolebrities" on the show. "[Bravo] actually said I don't have to have any of the Bravo people on if I don't want to," Griffin says. She also explains that she wouldn't be able to complete a sentence if forced to sit across from Real Housewives of Atlanta's NeNe Leakes because of her sparkly, bedazzled stilettos. "I might find that blinding," she says.
5. The only individuals banned from the show will be dead people. Griffin has been historically banned from several shows like Today, The View, and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, but she doesn't plan to retaliate. In fact, she only plans to ban dead people like Napoleon ("totally banned"), Elvis ("not invited"), Tupac Shakur and Biggie. (But what about their holograms?)
Check out photos of Kathy Griffin6. Her sponsors are strictly religious organizations.
"We are 100 percent sponsored by ChristianMingle.com," she jokes. "Or the Latter-day Saints, Latter-day Saints United. And Focus on the Family. Focus on the Family bought a ton of ad time."7. Discussion topics will include hard news, as well as pop culture.
Griffin plans to muse on both political subjects and celebrities. A few of her preferred targets? The Secret Service scandal
in Cartegena, the comeback of the '90s band Wilson Phillips
, Donald Trump
and The Celebrity Apprentice
. "This is your destination if you don't happen to have a life because I'm going to fill you in on all the things you should be watching," she says. "Nothing is off limits."8. Kathy will appeal to a wide variety of sexual orientations.
While Griffin describes her primary demographic as "women and gay men," she's confident other groups, such as "married men on the down low," will have a vested interest in watching. "It's for experimental men," Griffin says. "It's for guys who maybe just cheated on their girlfriends and now they need to make it up to her. It's for guys that fake it and act like they care about women's issues, but don't give a s--- and they're trying to get laid. That's my demographic."Kathy
premieres Thursday, April 19 at 10/9c on Bravo.