Nod your head if you're surprised by this: Men in Black II set a July Fourth weekend record, topping the box office with $54.1 million from Friday-Sunday. The previous record-holder was the first Men in Black, which took in $51.1 million in 1997. Since opening Wednesday, MIB II has grossed $90 million compared to $84.1 million for the original. (However, once admission increases are factored in, the sequel sold fewer tickets than the original.) Last week's No. 1 film, the Adam Sandler knee-slapper Mr. Deeds, slipped to second with $18.8 million a 49 percent drop from its opening. The new basketball comedy Like Mike opened at No. 3 with $13.1 million, followed by Lilo & Stitch (No. 4 with $12.7 million) and Minority Report (No. 5 with $12.4 million). The Powerpuff Girls Movie, meanwhile, had a dismal debut: The spinoff of the Cartoon Network series opened in ninth place with $3.6 million.
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2