Nod your head if you're surprised by this: Men in Black II set a July Fourth weekend record, topping the box office with $54.1 million from Friday-Sunday. The previous record-holder was the first Men in Black, which took in $51.1 million in 1997. Since opening Wednesday, MIB II has grossed $90 million compared to $84.1 million for the original. (However, once admission increases are factored in, the sequel sold fewer tickets than the original.) Last week's No. 1 film, the Adam Sandler knee-slapper Mr. Deeds, slipped to second with $18.8 million a 49 percent drop from its opening. The new basketball comedy Like Mike opened at No. 3 with $13.1 million, followed by Lilo & Stitch (No. 4 with $12.7 million) and Minority Report (No. 5 with $12.4 million). The Powerpuff Girls Movie, meanwhile, had a dismal debut: The spinoff of the Cartoon Network series opened in ninth place with $3.6 million.
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life