They committed the murder (or at least one of them did) — but can they get away with it?
That's what the remaining six episodes of How to Get Away with Murder's first season will try to answer when the drama returns Thursday (10/9c, ABC). Now that we know Annalise (Viola Davis) has helped Wes (Aflred Enoch) dispose of two-timing hubby Sam's (Tom Verica) body, you can definitely count on her leading the charge to make sure that Wes, Connor (Jack Falahee), McKayla (Aja Naomi King) and Laurel (Karla Souza) get off scot-free. But that's easier said than done.
"The second half of the season is really about seeing if they can get away with it and what Annalise would do to accomplish that," creator and executive producer Pete Nowalk tells TVGuide.com. "We've got some hopefully really great, exciting twists that people won't see coming."
Find out what's in store below.
1. Annalise's timeline: What went down between Wes and Annalise in the house? "We'll answer that very early in [Thursday's] episode and show what Annalise's involvement is, what she told Wes and why she wants to help," Nowalk says, adding that we'll also see Annalise's reaction to finding Sam's body. "That was something we definitely want to include and it will kind of show you her mindset too. These were things we were very mindful of answering right away for fans so they have all the information they need before we move on to other things."
2. Who might crack first? Thursday's episode picks up the same day as the midseason finale, after Annalise has filed a missing persons report on Sam, who is now suspect numero uno in Lila's murder. Suffice it to say, not all of the Keating 4 will handle the police interrogation well. "These people have never done anything like this, so they're naturally nervous and scared to varying degrees. You saw that a little bit in [Episode] 9 with Connor," Nowalk says. "There are a lot of secrets and secret-keeping going on, and one of them will come out [in Thursday's episode] in an unexpected way."
Adds Falahee: "Connor raises the point that now that [Sam's] the prime suspect, there might be more of a microscope on him and the house. ... I think that's what makes the second half [of the season] so riveting. They sustain this tension over the course of the next six episodes. It's the added pressure of potentially having police going through the house."
3. Will Asher (Matt McGorry) remain clueless? Poor Asher. On one hand, he's not complicit in the murder and had a booty call with Bonnie (Liza Weil). On the other, he's on the outside looking in, and what he says to the police about Murder Night might hurt the Keating 4. "[Asher's] weirdly sort of the most honest of the bunch," McGorry says. "Would he keep it a secret? Even before, we saw with his dad, he was like, 'You can't be doing this stuff.' Part of the game of the Keating 4 is to keep it away from the fifth and everyone else."
4. Speaking of Bonnie... Was Team Bosher a one-time thing or something more? "He certainly hopes it is more!" Nowalk says. "You see them discuss it a little bit [on Thursday's episode]. She doesn't want it coming out." But whether or not their hookup becomes known, McGorry says there will definitely be "complications of Bonnie and Asher's coitus."
5. Lila's murder: That will be resolved by season's end, but we will get one big reveal beforehand: the paternity of her baby. Since Annalise was going to turn Sam in and tell police that he had known Lila was pregnant, she sure could use confirmation that it was his baby to strengthen her cover-up story. "We needed to answer that, but there's also more to it," Nowalk teases.
6. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia Details on Marcia Gay Harden's character, Hannah, are being kept under wraps, but the Oscar winner will definitely "put a wrinkle" in Team Keating getting away with murder when she makes her debut on Thursday's episode. "She's a very formidable character and goes toe-to-toe with Annalise like no one else has," Nowalk says. "I'm very excited for everyone to see them together."
How to Get Away with Murder airs Thursdays at 10/9c on ABC.
Additional reporting by Kate Stanhope