Sorry Julia, but America has crowned a new sweetheart. Reese Witherspoon proved her box office might this weekend with the $37.5 million opening of Sweet Home Alabama. The romantic comedy debuted at No. 1 and shattered several records in the process: It was September's biggest bow and Witherspoon's largest opening ever. (Somewhere, Alicia Silverstone is kicking herself.) The Jackie Chan-Jennifer Love Hewitt action vehicle The Tuxedo, meanwhile, was all dressed up with no place to go but second place. Still, considering the film's dreadful reviews, it grossed a suitable $15.1 million. Rounding out the top five: Barbershop (No. 3 with $10.1 million), My Big Fat Greek Wedding (No. 4 with $9.8 million) and The Banger Sisters (No. 5 with $5.4 million).
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life