Sorry Julia, but America has crowned a new sweetheart. Reese Witherspoon proved her box office might this weekend with the $37.5 million opening of Sweet Home Alabama. The romantic comedy debuted at No. 1 and shattered several records in the process: It was September's biggest bow and Witherspoon's largest opening ever. (Somewhere, Alicia Silverstone is kicking herself.) The Jackie Chan-Jennifer Love Hewitt action vehicle The Tuxedo, meanwhile, was all dressed up with no place to go but second place. Still, considering the film's dreadful reviews, it grossed a suitable $15.1 million. Rounding out the top five: Barbershop (No. 3 with $10.1 million), My Big Fat Greek Wedding (No. 4 with $9.8 million) and The Banger Sisters (No. 5 with $5.4 million).
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative