Donald Trump will not go quietly into that good night, Univision.
Trump has filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision Communications following the company's decision to drop its planned telecast of the July 12 Miss USA Pageant due to Trump's disparaging comments about Mexican immigrants, Variety reports.
The Miss Universe Organization said that the suit was filed Tuesday in New York State Supreme Court.
Univision announced its decision to scrap the pageant last week, adding that they will also not be working on "any other projects tied to the Trump Organization." Monday NBC followed in their footsteps, severing all ties with Trump, dropping both the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants and reiterating that the business mogul will not be appearing on The Celebrity Apprentice.
To make matters worse for the pageants, two more hosts have dropped out of the Miss USA Pageant and Mexico has pulled out of participating in the Miss Universe Pageant. Cheryl Burke announced Tuesday that she won't be playing emcee for the event, and MSNBC host Thomas Roberts has withdrew from the gig as well, EW reports. (Last week, Univision's hosts Roselyn Sanchez and Cristian De La Fuente dropped out of the Spanish-language simulcast of the show.)
"In light of the recent statements made by Donald Trump and the subsequent decision by NBC to cut ties with Mr. Trump, I cannot in good conscience move forward with participating in this year's Miss USA Pageant as its co-host," Burke said in a statement. "Although I will not be there in person, I wish all of the contestants much luck as I know how hard they've all been working over the last year to try and realize their dreams."
Mexico will not participate at all in the Miss Universe Pageant, 1991 winner Lupita Jones announced Tuesday on Twitter. Jones is one of two Mexican contestants who have won the crown. As a Mexican, I feel very offended and indignant like everyone else; as Miss Universe I think Donald Trump is doing great harm to the organization," she said, according to a translation by Fox News Latino.
Trump first stirred outrage at his news conference announcing his bid as a candidate for the GOP presidential nomination. "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best...," he said. "They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us," Trump said during his presidential announcement. "They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."