Turns out Hollywood can make a successful pirate movie. Disney's theme park ride-turned-film Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl captured the No. 1 spot at the box office over the weekend with $46.4 million a sum that exceeded industry expectations. Since opening Wednesday, the pic has taken in $70.4 million. Also opening to better-than-expected grosses: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which captured the No. 2 spot with $23.3 million. The strong bow caught many by surprise considering the pic garnered some of the worst reviews since Madonna found herself Swept Away. Meanwhile, last week's top flick, Terminator 3, fell to No. 3 with nearly $20 million.
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life