A coroner ruled on Wednesday that Amy Winehouse died of accidental alcohol poisoning, The Associated Press reports.
"The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death," coroner Suzanne Greenaway said.
The neo-soul singer best known for her hit song "Rehab" was found dead at her home in London on July 23. She was 27.
Photo Gallery: Amy Winehouse through the years
Winehouse battled drugs and alcohol addiction for years, bouncing in and out of rehab facilities. The initial autopsy in late July was inconclusive, but family members were convinced it was a seizure caused by alcohol withdrawal that killed the singer.
Not so, according to pathologist Suhail Baithun, who said at the inquest that Winehouse had consumed a "very large quantity of alcohol" -- enough to put her blood-alcohol level at more than five times the legal drunk-driving limit.
Amy Winehouse funeral held in London
Winehouse family spokesman Chris Goodman said it was a relief to the family "to finally find out what happened to Amy."
"The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time," he said.