You know the box office is in a sorry state when the weekend's top film grosses a meager $5.7 million. Well, that's just what the Keanu Reeves serial killer flick, The Watcher, did in its second week at No. 1. It was the lowest first place finish since January, 1997. But the news wasn't all doom and gloom. The Cameron Crowe rock biopic, Almost Famous, pulled in $2.3 million in just 131 theaters, for a staggering $17,557 per-screen average. By contrast, The Watcher's per-screen average was $2,077. The Jamie Foxx action thriller Bait debuted at No. 2 with $5.5 million, followed by Bring It On ($5.1 million), Nurse Betty ($4.7 million) and What Lies Beneath ($2.6 million). Duets, the karaoke romance starring Gwyneth Paltrow, opened at No. 9 with $2 million. Playing on just 581 screens, the film averaged a so-so $3,442 per site.
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. America's Got Talent: Season 10 Premiere
- 5. Empire: Pilot
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. Wayward Pines: Don't Discuss Your Life Before