You know the box office is in a sorry state when the weekend's top film grosses a meager $5.7 million. Well, that's just what the Keanu Reeves serial killer flick, The Watcher, did in its second week at No. 1. It was the lowest first place finish since January, 1997. But the news wasn't all doom and gloom. The Cameron Crowe rock biopic, Almost Famous, pulled in $2.3 million in just 131 theaters, for a staggering $17,557 per-screen average. By contrast, The Watcher's per-screen average was $2,077. The Jamie Foxx action thriller Bait debuted at No. 2 with $5.5 million, followed by Bring It On ($5.1 million), Nurse Betty ($4.7 million) and What Lies Beneath ($2.6 million). Duets, the karaoke romance starring Gwyneth Paltrow, opened at No. 9 with $2 million. Playing on just 581 screens, the film averaged a so-so $3,442 per site.
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life