Memorable, viscerally disturbing sci-fi/horror picture with Ray Milland as Dr. Xavier, a medical scientist who develops a serum that gives him X-ray vision. He's able to see through paper, clothes, and skin (a valuable asset to have around the operating room). As his powers grow
stronger, he becomes increasingly demented and loses his job, signing up with a sideshow tout (Don Rickles) as a mind reader. His condition now causes him pain so severe that he needs to wear lead glasses. In agony and desperation, Xavier flees, eventually smashing his car and wandering into a
revival meeting. There he hears a preacher quoting the Bible: "If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out." At wit's end, Dr. Xavier chooses to interpret the admonition literally. One of Roger Corman's finest directorial efforts, the movie took top honors at the Trieste Science Fiction Film Festival.
In his book of casual horror criticism, Danse Macabre, Stephen King claims to have heard of an alternative ending that Corman deemed too horrifying: after tearing out his eyes, Dr. Xavier is supposed to have screamed, "I can still see!"
Cast & Details See all »
- Rating: NR
- User Rating:
- Review: Memorable, viscerally disturbing sci-fi/horror picture with Ray Milland as Dr. Xavier, a medical scientist who develops a serum that gives him X-ray vision. He's able to see through paper, clothes, and skin (a valuable asset to have around the operating ro… (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
O21X - Arban Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (New Authentic Edition with Accompaniment and Performance CD) (English, French and German...
By Carl Fischer Music PublisherBuy New: $21.85
By The Pokémon Company InternationalBuy New: $11.21
By Beachbody Inc.,Buy New: $139.80
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life