A witty romantic comedy with a sardonic edge, FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL follows the engaging Hugh Grant and his friends as they search for love in a whirlwind of nuptials.
Always a guest, never a groom (he's Best Man once, but forgets the rings), handsome, timid Charles (Grant) meets Carrie (Andie MacDowell) at a wedding and falls instantly in love with her. She returns to America, and the next time he sees her--at another wedding--she's got a wealthy fiance in
tow. He's devastated, she's oblivious, tongues wag. Can once in a lifetime, bolt-from-the-blue love survive bad timing, comically misunderstood intentions and the well-meaning interference of friends? Charles finds out--two weddings (one of them his own) and a funeral later--but not before things
come to some very sticky passes.
Casting is everything in FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL; the more one falls for Grant's ineffectual-but-adorable upper-middle-class schtick, the more charming everything seems. MacDowell is the weak link in a fine ensemble that includes the splendid Kristin Scott-Thomas (A HANDFUL OF DUST) and Simon
Callow (A ROOM WITH A VIEW); among the film's highlights is a fairly devastating reading of W.H. Auden's Funeral Blues.
Cast & Details See all »
- Released: 1994
- Rating: R
- User Rating:
- Review: A witty romantic comedy with a sardonic edge, FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL follows the engaging Hugh Grant and his friends as they search for love in a whirlwind of nuptials. Always a guest, never a groom (he's Best Man once, but forgets the rings), hands… (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Where Paradise is Home
- 5. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. The Blacklist: Tom Connolly