Paul Weiland's typically breezy, cliché-filled rom-com written by Adam Sztykiel, Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont stars Patrick Dempsey as a player who realizes he's in love with his best friend after she asks him to be the maid of honor at her wedding.
Tom (Dempsey) and Hannah (Michelle Monaghan) have been best friends since college and it was the perfect set up for Tom: He had the smart, funny Hannah for companionship and got to sleep with as many hotties as he can get his hands on. Ten years later, they're still best friends with a side of sexual tension. It's not until Hannah leaves on a six-week business trip to Scotland that Tom realizes how much he depends on his weekly outings with Hannah and that he might actually have feelings for her. When she returns with hot Scottish fiance Colin (Kevin McKidd) in tow and asks Tom to be her "MOH" (Maid of Honor), Tom realizes he can't let the one person he truly loves get away. He accepts the assignment and sets out to become an "insider" in all things wedding in order to show Hannah she's marrying the wrong guy. Once in Scotland for the wedding, Tom does his best to derail the impending nuptials, failing dismally until the bachelorette party. Hannah has to smooch strangers in a pub, and Tom takes advantage of the opportunity. But when Hannah tries to talk to Tom about the kiss, she finds him in a compromising position with a randy bridesmaid (Busy Philipps). When he tries to explain, she sadly tells him that he waited too long -- she needs someone who will be there for her 100 percent.
Weiland clearly had fun shooting New York landmarks before taking off for gorgeous Scotland, but it's a bad sign when the architecture and landscapes have more personality than the characters – even Dempsey and Monaghan, naturals for their roles, can't rise above the lackluster script. The plotting ranges from predictable to ridiculous – not to mention indebted to MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING – and with the exception of a handful of laugh-out-loud moments, Dempsey's frequent shirtlessness is the film's main appeal. The rest is as unpalatable as stale wedding cake.
Cast & Details See all »
- Released: 2008
- Rating: PG-13
- User Rating:
- Review: Paul Weiland's typically breezy, cliché-filled rom-com written by Adam Sztykiel, Deborah Kaplan and Harry Elfont stars Patrick Dempsey as a player who realizes he's in love with his best friend after she asks him to be the maid of honor at her wedding.… (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 6. Scandal: You Can't Take Command
- 7. Empire: Pilot