A warm and moving sleeper hit. Father Chuck O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is an easy-going, trouble-shooting priest who arrives at St. Dominic's Church, a Catholic institution that has seen better days, as has its curate, the elderly Father Fitzgibbon (Barry Fitzgerald). The old and stubborn
priest has led the parish for 45 years, but recently the church has gotten heavily in to debt, disillusioning even the parishioners. Through the magic of music, however, Father O'Malley brings Father Fitzgibbon out of the doldrums and saves the parish.
Leo McCarey's direction is masterful, stopping the sentiment just short of the maudlin. It all works like magic, especially the unbeatable chemistry between Crosby and Fitzgerald. The film was box-office dynamite and swept the Oscars, winning for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best
Actor and Best Supporting Actor. GOING MY WAY and its sequel, THE BELLS OF ST. MARY'S, were also popular with the Catholic Church and Pope Pius XII, who later gave a private audience to Crosby in thanks for the latter's priestly portrayal.
Cast & Details See all »
- Rating: NR
- User Rating:
- Review: A warm and moving sleeper hit. Father Chuck O'Malley (Bing Crosby) is an easy-going, trouble-shooting priest who arrives at St. Dominic's Church, a Catholic institution that has seen better days, as has its curate, the elderly Father Fitzgibbon (Barry Fitz… (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life