A nerdy computer whiz on 24
, a brain-stealing serial killer on Heroes
and Tori Spelling's gay best bud on So NoTORIous
: Zachary Quinto is nothing if not versatile. Intrigued by acting from an early age, he began appearing in Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera productions as a child. But he decided to pursue acting as a vocation after being involved in a car accident at age 16. After high school, Quinto studied at Carnegie Mellon's prestigious acting conservatory, and a year after graduating, he began landing guest spots on diverse series, everything from Touched by an Angel
. His recurring role on the third season of 24
upped his profile, but 2006 was his breakthrough year. Although his first series-regular gig on So NoTORIous
was cut short when the campy show failed to get picked up for a second season, he quickly snagged his signature Heroes
role. With his icy stare and monotone delivery, Quinto proved to be a breathtaking villain. In 2009, his star rose even higher when he took on the role of Spock in the J.J. Abrams remake of Star Trek
.Zachary Quinto Fast Facts:
- Made the decision to pursue a career in acting after being involved in a serious car accident at the age of 16.
- Won a 1995 Gene Kelly Award for his role as John Adams in a Central Catholic High School production of The Pirates of Penzance.
- Played computer tech Adam Kaufman in the third season of the Fox drama 24; later played Tori Spelling's gay best friend Sasan on VH1's So NoTORIous.
- Breakout role came in 2006 as the villainous Sylar on NBC's Heroes.
- Worked closely with Leonard Nimoy to prepare for his role as Spock in 2009's Star Trek.
- Zachary Quinto Relationships:
- Jonathan Groff - Ex-significant Other
- Joe Quinto - Brother
- Margo Quinto - Mother
- Zachary Quinto Awards:
- 2013 Emmy: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie - Nominee
- Carnegie Mellon University, School of Drama, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States (BFA in Drama, 1999)