Vincente Minnelli Celebrity Watchlist
- Was born into a showbiz family; his father and uncle operated the Minnelli Brothers Tent Theater.
- Started as a department store window designer, then a photographer, then costume and set designer for a theater chain.
- In 1933, became the art director at Radio City Music Hall; later directed Broadway musicals.
- Was hired at MGM in 1940 and apprenticed for a year.
- Met Judy Garland on the set of 1940's Strike Up the Band; they married in 1945; their daughter, Liza, was born in 1946. Father, mother and daughter all won Academy Awards.
- Published his autobiography, I Remember It Well, in 1974.
- Directed Liza in the 1976 film A Matter of Time.
- 1951, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1957, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1959, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Winner
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1959, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Film and British Film: Nominee
- 1958, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Winner
- Denise Gigante — Ex-wife
- Christiane Nina Minnelli — Daughter
- Marie Émilie Odile Lebeau — Mother
- Judy Garland — Ex-wife
- Vincent Charles Minnelli — Father
- Georgette Magnani — Ex-wife
- Liza Minnelli — Daughter
- Lee Anderson — Wife
- Attended the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Trending TonightSee all »
By Cambridge University PressBuy New: $79.99
By Wayne State University PressBuy New: $29.95
By CatedraBuy New: $21.95
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. American Idol: Top 9 Perform
- 7. Neighbors With Benefits: Welcome To The Neighborhood