- Was born into a showbiz family; his father and uncle operated the Minnelli Brothers Tent Theater.
- Started as a department store window designer, then a photographer, then costume and set designer for a theater chain.
- In 1933, became the art director at Radio City Music Hall; later directed Broadway musicals.
- Was hired at MGM in 1940 and apprenticed for a year.
- Met Judy Garland on the set of 1940's Strike Up the Band; they married in 1945; their daughter, Liza, was born in 1946. Father, mother and daughter all won Academy Awards.
- Published his autobiography, I Remember It Well, in 1974.
- Directed Liza in the 1976 film A Matter of Time.
- 1952, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1951, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1957, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1959, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Winner
- 1959, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Film and British Film: Nominee
- 1958, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Winner
- Lee Anderson — Wife
- Christiane Nina Minnelli — Daughter
- Marie Émilie Odile Lebeau — Mother
- Judy Garland — Ex-wife
- Georgette Magnani — Ex-wife
- Liza Minnelli — Daughter
- Denise Gigante — Ex-wife
- Vincent Charles Minnelli — Father
- Attended the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Trending TonightSee all »
By Wayne State University PressUsually ships in 11 to 14 days Buy New: $25.87 (as of 7:56 AM UTC - more info)
By Cambridge University PressUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $29.96 (as of 7:56 AM UTC - more info)
By CatedraTemporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship the item. Buy New: $19.27 (as of 7:56 AM UTC - more info)