This charismatic triple threat sang and danced her way to fame as a brainy beauty in Disney's smash 2006 TV-movie High School Musical.
Although the multiethnic Hudgens only had a handful of TV guest spots and film appearances under her belt, she was already a veteran hoofer, having performed in myriad stage musicals since childhood. Under Disney's tutelage, Hudgens became a formidable starlet, guest-starring on the station's popular teen series (Drake & Josh
, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
) and headlining HSM
. After the film's success, she released her own album, V
, which promptly landed in the top 30 on the Billboard
200 album chart, and then served up a sophomore pop album, Identified
, in 2008. Yet she pushed aside her solo singing career to focus on acting, signing on to star in the films Bandslam
(2009) and Beastly
(2010) and appearing in a 2010 stage production of Rent
at the Hollywood Bowl.Vanessa Hudgens Fast Facts:
- Mother is of Filipino, Chinese and Spanish descent; father is American Indian and Irish.
- Began acting in musical theater when she was 8 years old, and has since appeared in numerous local productions, including Carousel, Damn Yankees, The King & I and The Wizard of Oz.
- Was home-schooled from seventh grade on.
- Made TV debut at age 13 in an episode of the series Still Standing.
- Her first two films, 2003's indie drama Thirteen and 2004's sci-fi bomb Thunderbirds, also featured actor Brady Corbet.
- Debut album V, released September 26, 2006, sold 34,000 copies during its first week and debuted at No. 24 on the Billboard 200 album chart.
- Signed on to endorse Neutrogena cosmetic products in 2007.
- Squeaky-clean image took a hit in 2007 when privately taken nude photos of her surfaced on the Internet.
- Starred in a 2010 production of Rent at the Hollywood Bowl. The show was directed by Neil Patrick Harris.
- Vanessa Hudgens Relationships:
- Zac Efron - Ex-significant Other
- Austin Butler - Significant Other
- Stella Hudgens - Sister
- Gina Guangco - Mother
- Greg Hudgens - Father