- Family moved from New York to Louisiana when he was a child, to create a better environment to care for his sister, who was born deaf.
- Attended his Louisiana high school during its period of racial integration in the '60s.
- Excelled in high-school debate, and began college with an interest in directing.
- Worked as a switchboard operator at the United Nations Plaza Hotel to support himself during graduate school.
- Has won several prestigious awards for his plays, including a Pulitzer Prize and a Kennedy Center Award for Angels in America.
- Has been a source of controversy in the Zionist community for some of his statements about Israel and Palestine.
- Has received many awards for his social and cultural contributions, such as the Spirit of Justice Award from the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders, and the Cultural Achievement Award from the National Foundation for Jewish Culture.
- 2004, Tony — Book of a Musical: Nominee
- 1994, Tony — Play: Winner
- 2005, Oscar — Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Nominee
- 2006, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2012, Oscar — Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Nominee
- 2004, Tony — Score (Music and/or Lyrics): Nominee
- 2013, Writers Guild Awards — The Paul Selvin Award: Winner
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special: Winner
- 1993, Tony — Play: Winner
- 2013, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- 2013, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Winner
- 2013, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2013, Writers Guild Awards — Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- Lesley Kushner — Sister
- William Kushner — Father
- Mark Bronnenberg — Ex-significant Other
- Eric Kushner — Brother
- Sylvia Kushner — Mother
- Mark Harris — Husband
- Columbia College, New York, NY (BA in English Literature, 1978); New York University, Tisch School of the Arts, New York, NY (MFA, 1984)
- Birth Name: Anthony Robert Kushner
- Birth Place: New York, NY
- Profession: Playwright, Screenwriter
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more
Die gesellschaftskritischen Themen und Interpretationen des Autors in Tony Kushners Angels in America (German Edition)
By GRIN VerlagBuy New: $22.50
The American Stage: Writing on Theater from Washington Irving to Tony Kushner (Library of America, No. 203)
By Library of AmericaBuy New: $34.70
By VDM Verlag Dr. MüllerBuy New: $68.00