Although this appealing player had few professional credits when he was picked to star in the '60s period piece That Thing You Do!
, the film's director, Tom Hanks, saw something in Scott: himself. Comparisons between the two were inevitable: They both boasted curly hair, boyish good looks and easygoing manners. However, unlike Hanks, Scott would make his biggest impression on the small screen, essaying a diverse roster of intense characters, from a manic depressive on ER
to a gambling paramedic on the short-lived Saved
to a police detective on Southland
. Off screen, Scott's life is much less dramatic, with two kids and a stable marriage to a former college classmate.Tom Everett Scott Fast Facts:
- Started a theater company with friends in New York in 1992.
- First TV role was in a 1993 Law & Order episode.
- Directed a production of the play Red River, which was turned into a 1998 independent film starring Scott and featuring his wife, actor Jenni Gallagher.
- Placed third in the World Poker Tour Invitational in 2005, the first celebrity to make it to the final table.
- Was a regular on several short-lived series---including Philly, Do Over and Saved---before joining the cast of the acclaimed police drama Southland in 2009.
- Tom Everett Scott Relationships:
- Arly - Daughter
- Bill Scott - Father
- Cindy Scott - Mother
- Jenni Gallagher - Wife
- Finn - Son
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY (BA in Drama, 1992)