Although his dashing turn as a web-slinging superhero in the Spider-Man trilogy turned him into an international sensation, this thoughtful leading man seduced critics long before he began making teenagers swoon. As a child actor in the early '90s, he made guest appearances on sitcoms (Roseanne) and dramas (Jake and the Fat Man). In fact, he met his best friend/future fellow superstar Leonardo DiCaprio at an audition for the 1990 TV adaptation of the movie Parenthood. In 1992, Maguire snagged his first series regular role, as the nerdy title character in Great Scott!, but after that show went bust he turned his attention to the big screen, making his film debut opposite DiCaprio in This Boy's Life. Although his buddy's career immediately took off, Maguire spent a few more years playing the stereotypical cute but goofy kid in films such as Revenge of the Red Baron and Joyride. But in 1997, he burst onto the indie radar as the pensive suburban narrator of the art-house hit The Ice Storm. Suddenly Maguire was the go-to awkward but appealing adolescent, playing a series of similar types in high-minded pictures (Pleasantville, The Cider House Rules, Wonder Boys). Peter Parker, the civilian side of Spider-Man, was very much in keeping with those roles, a hardworking high-school geek with an unrequited crush on the girl next door. But to play his super alter ego, the young star had to buff up his body and beef up his sex appeal, with impressive results. Since Spider-Man, Maguire has delved into producting and expanded his acting range, including a villainous turn in 2006's The Good German. Maguire met his wife, jewelry designer Jennifer Meyer, while shooting Seabiscuit in 2003. The couple have two children.
- In middle school, had ambitions to one day become a chef and wanted to take cooking classes; his mother persuaded him to take drama instead.
- Became friends with Leonardo DiCaprio while guest starring on the TV series Parenthood and later competed with him for the lead role in 1993's This Boy's Life.
- Lost 25 pounds to play jockey Red Pollard in Seabiscuit.
- Due to back pain, nearly lost the role of Peter Parker in Spider-Man 2 to Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Plays tournament poker and can be seen in ESPN's coverage of the World Series of Poker from 2005, 2006 and 2007.
- Practices yoga and vegetarianism. Became a vegan in 2009.
- In honor of his work in Spider-Man, has both a spider and a spider crab named for him.
- 2010, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 1999, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Vincent Maguire — Father
- Wendy Maguire — Mother
- Weston — Half Brother
- Timothy — Half Brother
- Jennifer Meyer — Wife (separated)
- Jopaul — Half Brother
- Sara — Half Sister
- Ruby Sweetheart Maguire — Daughter
- Vincent — Half Brother
- Otis Tobias Maguire — Son
- Birth Name: Tobias Vincent Maguire
- Birth Place: Santa Monica, California, United States
- Profession: Actor, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead