Part of the Daly acting dynasty, which includes his Emmy-winning father James and his Emmy-, Golden Globe- and Tony-winning older sister Tyne, Tim may not quite live up to his relatives in accolades but surpasses them in popularity. Although he made an auspicious film debut in the 1982 coming-of-age drama Diner
, movies wouldn't be kind to Daly over the years. TV, however, was the ideal medium for his talents, and in 1990 he landed his seminal small-screen role on Wings
as an adorable, levelheaded pilot who tolerated the other characters' wacky shenanigans. During his seven-year tenure on the sitcom, Daly wisely sought out extracurricular projects, mostly TV-movies that allowed him to play against type, such as cult leader David Koresh in In the Line of Duty: Ambush in Waco
and a convicted killer in Witness to the Execution
, although he never quite shed his hunky image. After Wings
' cancellation, Daly kept busy, voicing the title character in the animated Superman
series, and popping up in supporting film roles in between short-lived series (the remake of The Fugitive
, The Nine
). In 2007, he found TV stability once again when he was cast as Dr. Pete Wilder in the Grey's Anatomy
spin-off Private Practice
.Tim Daly Fast Facts:
- Beginning in 1996, voiced the titular superhero in the WB animated series Superman.
- Lives with his family off the beaten Hollywood path in Rhode Island and Vermont.
- Both he and his sister Tyne appeared on Broadway in 2006: he in a revival of The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial and she in the play The Rabbit Hole.
- Appeared alongside his wife, Amy Van Nostrand, in episodes of The Fugitive and Wings, and the TV-movies Dangerous Heart, Execution of Justice (playing spouses) and Bereft, which he also coproduced and codirected.
- Acted opposite his sister in episodes of Wings and Judging Amy, as well as the TV-movie Execution of Justice.
- Heads his own production company, Red House Entertainment.
- Tim Daly Relationships:
- Emelyn Daly - Daughter
- Glynnis Daly - Sister
- James Daly - Father
- Tyne Daly - Sister
- Sam Daly - Son
- Hope Newell - Mother
- Amy Van Nostrand - Wife
- Pegeen Daly - Sister
- Tim Daly Awards:
- 2000 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2007 Emmy: Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series - Nominee
- Bennington College, Bennington, VT (BA in Theater and Literature, 1979)